[gmx-announce] Gromacs 3.0 has been released!

Erik Lindahl erik at theophys.kth.se
Thu Aug 16 16:23:22 CEST 2001

Dear Gromacs user,

 We have the great pleasure to announce the release of Gromacs 3.0!

Although previous versions of Gromacs were fast, the present release
introduces significant performance improvements. For Intel Pentium III/4
and AMD Athlon/Duron processors we further provide assembly loops that
improve the performance by about 100% on Linux 2.4 kernels.

Starting with this version, Gromacs is Free Software, available under
the GNU General Public License. The source code and Linux RPM packages
can be downloaded immediately from our brand new website at

                       http://www.gromacs.org

The entire package has been adapted to use GNU automatic configuration
scripts. No more makefile editing - just type "./configure" and "make".

You can find an extensive list with other improvements and new features
in Gromacs 3.0 at http://www.gromacs.org/features/changes3.0.php .

All files from version 2.0 can be read by version 3.0. Old mdp files
might give a warning, but they will do what they did in version 2.0
unless they contained non-isotropic pressure coupling or Langevin
dynamics.

This release is also discussed and benchmarked in an upcoming article
in Journal of Molecular Modeling:

GROMACS 3.0: A package for molecular simulation and trajectory analysis,
Lindahl, E., Hess. B, van der Spoel, D., To appear in J. Mol. Mod.

                			   Best wishes,

					   The Gromacs Crew

FYI: Since you are listed as a Gromacs user we have moved your mail from
our old alias to the new gmx-announce mailing list. There will still
only be messages about new releases or possible bugs on this list.
You can edit your preferences with the link below.