[gmx-developers] Debug Build

Erik Lindahl erik at theophys.kth.se
Tue Aug 14 18:53:48 CEST 2001

On Tue, 14 Aug 2001, Justin Laine Maccallum wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new to the whole automake/autoconf thing.  What's the best way to set
> up a debug build?  Is there a configure flag or could one be added?

Hi Justin,

You can select which flags to use by setting the CFLAGS and/or FFLAGS
variables. Either before running configure, or append them to your make
command like:

make CFLAGS=-g

The debug flag is normally -g. The advantage with providing it as a make
argument is that you won't have to rerun configure, although you must
still do a 'make clean' when you want to do a normal build again.

Note that this will override the normal flags, so you might want to add
some other stuff too (like ansi flags on Tru64 unix).

If you want to debug memory allocation you can use the dmalloc library
(www.dmalloc.org) and the --with-dmalloc flag.

We should discuss your question about getting read and possibly
write access to CVS too - it kind of got lost when we were preparing
the release. We will hopefully get a dedicated gromacs server in
Groningen and set up a public CVS repository in the near future.
This means anyone can read and get the latest versions of the sources
from CVS, but not read. Our idea would then be to let people post
patches to this list, and if they seem appropriate someone of us
would commit them. Would that do it for you?

Actually, that's how I started a couple of years ago, but after a while
Berk and the gang got tired of implementing my patches and thought that
I'd better do it myself... I'm pretty sure we'll feel the same way about
your patches after while ;-)

Regards,

Erik
Erik Lindahl, PhD                                erik at theophys.kth.se
Dept. Biophysical Chemistry, Groningen University, THE NETHERLANDS
Phone: +31 50 3634335    Fax: +31 50 3634800
(You can also reach me as lindahl at chem.rug.nl and lindahl at gromacs.org)
Hi! I'm a mutated .sig virus! Put me in ~/.signature to multiply me!