[gmx-developers] tpbconv

Berk Hess B.Hess at chem.rug.nl
Tue Dec 10 11:51:17 CET 2002

> > Actually all Gromacs programs, including tpbconv and gmxcheck now use the
> > same io routines and the same error checking, so there is no use in running
> > gmxcheck. After mailing with Bert I assume there are very large numbers
> > for coordinates or velocities in his trr or nan's or inf's.
> > But this is expensive to check and also checking for nan is very tricky
> > and system dependent.
> I think it is still useful to use gmxcheck, e.g. when you have merged
> two files (with trjcat). I found errors in xtc files with it which were
> due to flaky hardware, so before throwing away you old files, use
> gmxcheck to check the new ones, best to do it on another machine.

You mean trjcat produced incorrect xtc output from correct xtc input?
The reading routines will not return a frame with an error in it.
So if any program could read your trajectory, gmxcheck will not provide
additional information, except for the timestep checks and the statistics.

> trr is harder to check though.

Checking is not harder, but I think that the xtc writing routines already
complain when trying to write nan's. Thus xtc never contains nan's.

But should we implement some check on the size of the coordinates and/or
velocities in trajectories? This could be done in gmxcheck. Although I
don't know if the results of comparisions with nan's are defined uniquely.
Such a check might be so slow that we do not want to do it by default
in tpbconv or grompp.

Berk.