[gmx-developers] autoconf/automake

Erik Lindahl lindahl at stanford.edu
Thu Sep 26 09:44:32 CEST 2002

K.A. Feenstra wrote:

>Erik Lindahl wrote:
>
>[...]
>
>>There is the ./bootstrap command that runs all things for you once you
>>have the autotools installed; an alternative is if somebody would like
>>to setup a script to make automatic snapshots of CVS. (I.e., check it
>>out once a week, see if there are any changes, bootstrap, make dist,
>>and put it on the ftp server).
>>

>In that case, it's probably easiest if I stick to the workaround I already
>used: generate the makefiles in Groningen, tar the appropriate files and
>unpack it where I need them...
>
>I'll start bothering our sysadm to get autotools installed... :)

You can install them locally in your own directory. Download the source of
automake and autoconf from ftp.gnu.org (or ftp.gromacs.org/developer)
and compile them e.g. with

./configure --prefix=/home/feenstra/software
make
make install

And make sure you have /home/feenstra/software/bin first in your path.

Cheers,

Erik