Antw: Re: [gmx-developers] (no subject)

Peter Friedel friedel at ipfdd.de
Thu Mar 6 08:58:10 CET 2003

hi, erik,
thanks for your immediatly answer.
now i perform my simulations with hyperbranched polymers in different solvents. of course, they take a long simulation time, so i need more processors.
cheers, peter

<<< Erik Lindahl <lindahl at stanford.edu> 05.03. 08.15 >>>

On Tuesday, Mar 4, 2003, at 23:02 US/Pacific, Peter Friedel wrote:

> dear gmx-developers,
> the last months I dealed successfully with the job to make GROMACS
> available in multiprozessor mode. Now, we found out, that there are
> different results using a different number of prozessors when running
> the same job (the demo, which is given with the GROMACS package). the
> package was compiled in --enable-float mode with lam-mpi on a
> double-pentium IV processor machine (1600 MHz). we do not know, what
> is the reason for and if this does or does not matter anything.
> could you please help us?

Hi Peter,

Some difference is quite normal; since you are summing forces and
potentials in different order when running in parallel there will be
slight numerical differences in the results. MD is a chaotic process,
so this will lead to diverging trajectories, but the averages at
equilibrium should be the same. Unless you are seeing very strange
things in your resulting analysis I wouldn't worry.

To test it you should run a single step (or even zero steps to just
calculate energies) and compare energies - those differences should be
small, and even smaller in double precision.

Cheers,

Erik