[gmx-developers] Re:How to compile and run new tools from template.c?

Senthil Kandasamy senthilk at umich.edu
Wed Nov 12 19:59:11 CET 2003

When I follow the procedure followed by Jason, I got the same errors.
So I included an extra path in the Makefile.i686..... for CFLAGS to point to
-I/home/senthilk/local/gromacs-3.1.4/include.
then, when I type make -f Makefile.i686 .... It seemed to compile, but it stopped with an error about

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lmd
I noticed that a template.o has been created, but not a "template" executable.
Do I have to include an extra path or something? What am I doing wrong?
Or rather, the question should be, am I doing anything correctly at all?

Senthil

Jason wrote:

Hi,
I just looked inside my share/tools/. There were three
makefile: Makefile, Makefile.am and Makefile.in as well
as the program template.c. So I typed "make" which ended
up producing another makefile: Makefile.i686-pc-linux-gnu
This file has one target clearly aimed at compiling template.c.
So I typed "make -f Makefile.i686-pc-linux-gnu". This produced
a bunch of errors on compilation:

mpicc -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -finline-functions -Wall -Wno-unused
-malign-double -funroll-all-loops   -I/usr/X11R6/include
-I/home/dejo/include/gromacs     -c -o template.o template.c
template.c:40:22: statutil.h: No such file or directory
template.c:41:22: typedefs.h: No such file or directory
template.c:42:21: smalloc.h: No such file or directory
template.c:43:17: vec.h: No such file or directory
template.c:44:22: copyrite.h: No such file or directory
template.c:45:22: statutil.h: No such file or directory
template.c:46:19: tpxio.h: No such file or directory

etcetera

My gromacs is installed only in my user account (using the
configure script). The include path "-I/home/dejo/include/gromacs"
is wrong. So I changed it to the right one and now it works.
I have the object "template.o" available now.

Now it is probably necessary to install this object as a binary
or integrate it with the gromacs source somehow but I am not
clear on that.