[gmx-developers] domain decomposition

Jason DeJoannis jdejoan at emory.edu
Wed Oct 1 22:19:35 CEST 2003

Hi All,
To get an idea how the domain decomposition works I simulated 500
Argon/Krypton atoms at STP on 2 nodes with a boxlength of about 13nm.
I plotted (see xmgrace attachment) the x-coordinate vs step
for the middle particle (i=250). The position evolves smoothly
and strays far from the middle of the box indicating that it
must be the same particle the whole time. I conclude that the
domain decomposition into X-coordinate-based slabs is only
done at the begining of the simulation. Thereafter the 'slabs'
can be far from physical domains. That raises the question of
how is the grid-based neighbor search done. It is not sufficient
to communicate cells along the slab boundaries. What is going on here?

thanks,

  -Jason

---
Jason de Joannis, Ph.D.