[gmx-developers] Re: markup for macromolecules in biology

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Tue Oct 14 03:44:25 CEST 2003

Hi,

This interaction is great - especially since some of you probably have
more experience in actually using XML.

Our background is essentially this:

1. As we are implementing more forcefields, and people are starting to
use Gromacs for non-protein stuff, we've realized we need a much more
flexible way of specifying parameters and molecules. For now we've
hacked and extended our formats - that is both a pain, and it hurts
portability. I'm also working with Warren DeLano to add Gromacs support
in Pymol. Reading files is trivial, but it would be better if we could
also read the topology to get bonds and charges correct. Again, this
won't work if the Gromacs topology format is changing and becomes
out-of-sync with pymol.

2. We would also like to keep the description of the molecule
connectivity separate from the actual implementation in a certain
forcefield (atom types, united vs. all atoms, etc.) - this would also
make it easier for other programs to read our files without parsing all
the detailed atom types and bond parameters, etc.

XML is an obvious solution for this - my current plan is to use vanilla
CML for the molecule description, and then have a program read our own
XML force field files to convert it into a specific topology (that will
probably be internal in the program, though - it was just too difficult
to do in XSLT for me :-)

We are somewhat hesitant on using XML "everywhere" - at least not as a
default format. It would be fairly straightforward to allow input
parameters (number of steps, cutoff radius, etc) as XML, but it really
doesn't buy us much, and it would be harder for the users to always
edit proper XML files in their input. The same goes for writing
coordinates, trajectories and energies: we have have very compact and
portable binary formats that we probably want to stick to.

However, we're always open to good arguments :-)

Do I understand it right that your point of view is rather how to
communicate input and output between programs, with grid applications?
We already support several file formats, so it should be
straightforward to define another one - together we could probably
"force" it as a virtual standard :-)

One issue is how detailed the markup should be. If it isn't the default
format it might make sense to have it very detailed for coordinate
files, but trajectories and compressed trajectories should probably be
binary for size reasons. We have extremely efficient code for
reading/writing compressed coordinates that we could release completely
free (BSD license or something...)

Cheers,

Erik