[gmx-developers] XML

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Wed Oct 15 18:17:02 CEST 2003

Hi Michael,

That's great news - give them my and/or David's email and we'll do
something about it.

The nice thing with XML is that it isn't critical to use exactly the
same format (it would be convenient, but I can imagine all parts would
diverge pretty soon :-), since you can write XSLT stylesheets for very
fast transforms between them.

> There are standard formats for binary data as well - NetCDF seems to
> be the
> format of choice - one can imagine that an output file would be some
> mix of
> XML and binary data.
>
> One possiblity for input files, of course, is that either people could
> write
> them by hand, or there could be a simple interpreting program --
> either a gui
> or a parser, that could hand-hold those that didn't want to / feel
> comfortable
> writing the XML.  There are a wide variety of XML parsers already
> available
> for various code bases.

That's trivial - since we use C we can simply call the free libxml2
directly - we're already using it :-)

> Anyway, a working group will be forming to address the issue of
> standards for
> macromolecular modeling, so let me know if you're interested, and I
> can pass
> your information along to the organizers.

Is Michael at Scripps? Perhaps we should go down and have a meeting
with David & Charlie about it...

Cheers,

Erik