[gmx-developers] Using graphics coprocessors for MD

Erik Lindahl lindahl at csb.stanford.edu
Fri Apr 23 11:15:48 CEST 2004

Hehe :-)

I've already got a collaboration going with the people involved in
Brook, and we've been able to use a (heavily) modified version of
Gromacs to run a water system on the next-generation ATI GPU.

Right now there are a couple of problems:

1. The GPU compiler sucks for complex code, so Ian Buck at Stanford had
to handcode the innerloop in assembly for the GPU.
2. You cannot have arrays of variable length, so we've had to load
neighborlists as 2D-textures and use some tricks :-)
3. Currently the GPUs only support 24 bit floating point, which isn't
enough for us.
4. The theoretical performance is incredibly (200Gflop), but it drops
very fast when you start to use more registers (complicated to explain,
but confirmed by ATI/NVidia). Our current performance is about 50% of
what you get from SSE on a recent P4.

Still, it could be interesting for the future. The future DirectX9 (or
10?) apparently specifies 32-bit FP as the standard, and Graphics card
seem to improve faster than CPUs right now...

Cheers,

Erik