[gmx-developers] SASA / VDW radii

Berk Hess gmx3 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 17 09:56:47 CEST 2004

>Hi,
>
>is anyone aware of gromacs applications that rely on certain values of
>the Van der Waals radii (in vdwradii.dat)?
>
>The radii are read by the following programs:
>gmxcheck
>ngmx
>editconf
>genbox
>g_sas
>
>I have a new set of values from the msms program (scripps) with which we
>can reproduce the areas calculated by msms with a different algorithm.
>The differences in radii are quite small, but it would, e.g. give fewer
>solvent molecules when running genbox, and obviously it would also give
>different SASA.

>Values are:
>Atom	OLD (gromacs)	MSMS
>C     0.15		0.174
>F     0.12		0.14
>H     0.04		0.12
>N     0.110		0.154
>O     0.105		0.14
>S     0.16		0.18
>
>Do you think it is a problem to replace the old values by the ones from
>MSMS?

g_sas does not use these radii. The radii are hard coded in gmx_sas.c, see
below.
I don't know where those come from, maybe from the reference that g_sas
gives?

The MSMS radii are a lot larger than the old ones.
genbox might give much more empty space between solute and solvent,
requiring more equilibration and resulting in a smaller box.
Also gmxcheck -c might complain a lot even when a correct conformation is
given.
Have you check these things?

Berk.

real calc_radius(char *atom)