[gmx-developers] Turn off the electrastatic interaction between 2 energy groups

xuhui huang xhuang at chem.columbia.edu
Tue Feb 10 18:45:43 CET 2004

Hi all,
     In Gromacs, "energygrp_excl" can exclude all non-bonded interactions between pairs of energy groups. But I only want to
turn off the electrastatic interaction between 2 energy groups.
     The following is my idea about how to do it. (I choose Cut-off for electrastatic calculation and use grid for the neighbour searching.)
      There are 3 short range neighbour-lists generated in ns.c(vdw, coup, vdwc). It seems to me that "vdwc" will store the information of the
particls with both charges and the lj type. "vdw" will store the information of the particles whose charge is 0, and "coup" will store the information
of the particles whose lj is 0. What I have done is to loop over the charge groups and judge if the 2 groups are  excluded, if they are,
I just add the particles in that group into "vdw" list instead of "vdwc" list. Then it seems to me that only vdw interaction is computed even if the
charge are not 0 for those particles.
    But when I tested it, it did not work. Before I did the exclusion, the elecstatic intereaction of the system is 0.16 kj/mol, but after I chose the
exclusion, the elecstatic intereaction of the system is -201 kj/mol. It seems that the 1-2, 1-3 neigbours are even computed. (My system includes
1 spc water molecule and 1 pf6 molecule).
     Do you know what is wrong with my idea, and is there a better way to do this?

Thank you very much!

Best
Xuhui