[gmx-developers] benchmark Lys errors?

David spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Tue Mar 30 07:40:48 CEST 2004

On Tue, 2004-03-30 at 04:06, Josh Hursey wrote:

> >>Is there a rough metric for determing when one has allocated too many processors for a given system?
> >>'
> >
> > Depends on the communication speed. For cut-off sims you need a few
> > thousand atoms per processor, for PME sims more than that.
>

> So when looking at a General Protein, what determines the scaling limit? I assume it involves an evaluation of the number of
> atoms in the system and the type of calculation involved.
In the end it's merely the system size, but it depends on your
network/CPU combination as well. For typical systems, such as the Lys
benchmark it can easily be measured. Just run the cut-off and the PME
benchmarks on 1,2,4,6,8 processors and make an informed decision.

I have run a 200,000 atom system on 16 processors (with PME) but in the
end I moved it to 8 processors, which was somewaht slower but gave me
more throughput since I had a limited CPU time on that cluster.

As soon as there are more jobs that CPUs it is worthwhile to reduce the
number of CPUs per job.
--
David.
David van der Spoel, PhD, Assist. Prof., Molecular Biophysics group,