[gmx-developers] Possible bug in grompp?

Walter Ash wlash at ucalgary.ca
Tue Apr 19 00:43:29 CEST 2005

I've been working on a new molecule topology and I've noticed what I
believe is a bug in grompp...  I am using the ffopls forcefield with
genpairs=yes, fudgeQQ and fudgeLJ = 0.5,  and combination rule 3.  This
is with the 3.2.1 distribution version.

In the molecular topology, under [ pairs ], it appears I have to specify
LJ14 parameters in C6 and C12 format despite the use of sigma and
epsilon everywhere else in this forcefield (comb rule 3).  If I use
sigma and epsilon in a [ pairs ] definition, my LJ14 energies are orders
of magnitude too high as grompp intereprets these parameters as C6 and
C12 values instead.  Putting C6 and C12 parameters here gives the
expected behavior.

This is contrary to what is stated in the manual and what I would expect
the behavior to be.