[gmx-developers] Pull code and virial

Justin MacCallum jlmaccal at ucalgary.ca
Sun Feb 27 21:17:47 CET 2005

Hi,

I think I've discovered a problem with the way the pull code interacts
with pressure coupling. As far as I can tell the extra forces added by
umbrella sampling and AFM pulling are not included in the virial,
leading to unexpected volume changes in the system when the
thermodynamic mean force is high.

I'm not totally sure how to fix this. Is moving the pull code force
calculation to before calc_virial enough? I'm not totally clear on how
the virial is calculated in GROMACS.

I should point out that even when the man force is very high, the
volume change is still quite small, on the order of one percent. This
does however make a large difference in potential energy due to large
changes in water-water interactions.

I don't think this a big problem for most simulations using the pull
code, but if you want to look at volume changes, or potential energies
there may be artifacts.

Justin

Justin MacCallum
PhD Student