[gmx-developers] Small configure.ac change

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Sun Jan 2 14:38:47 CET 2005

Hi,

I've moved all symbols to use GMX_ prefixes, to make it easier
interfacing Gromacs with other stuff (and to know which symbols are
part of gromacs) - but apparently I missed this one :-)

On Jan 1, 2005, at 2:11 PM, Charlie Peck wrote:

> On Jan 1, 2005, at 5:15 AM, David van der Spoel wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 31 Dec 2004, Charlie Peck wrote:
>>
>>> I'm working with the CVS snapshot labeled GROMACS 3.3_beta_20041226.
>>> configure.ac produces a symbol GMX_MPI when --enable-mpi is specified
>>> on the configure command line but many places in the source code are
>>> looking for the symbol USE_MPI.  The net effect is that you can't run
>>> this snapshot with MPI.
>> I haven't seen this problem in plain CVS. Maybe you should just try to
>> download the latest cvs rather than this snapshot.
>
> I misspoke, I am using the latest CVS cut (retrieved with $ cvs ... co
> gmx) when I get this error.  In any event the fix on my end is easy
> for this item.
>
> I ran into a second problem later on, here's the output from mdrun:

> Program mdrun, VERSION 3.3_beta_20041226
> Source code file: ns.c, line: 314
>
> Fatal error:
> ns.c, 315: Negative number of short range atoms.
> Call your Gromacs dealer for assistance.
>
> This was with the DPPC gmxbench system.  I get the same error with
> gmxbench's villin system.  These same input files work fine with our
> 3.2.1 code.  Unfortunately my background is computer science not
> chemistry so this could be the result of a change in the behavior of
> grompp/mdrun that I need to learn about, but I didn't see anything in
> the manual (also checked-out from CVS) that referenced this.
>
> The folks I work with are building a wrapper for GROMACS that
> automates running molecular systems on clusters.  There are some
> features in the current CVS cut that we would really like to take
> advantage of but we don't want to pester the developers with lots of
> questions if the codeline isn't in a state for this type of testing.
> I got the sense reading the developers page at www.gromacs.org that it
> was pretty stable.  If you would rather we stick to 3.2.1 for now we
> can.

Normally it's quite stable, but we recently added a _huge_ amount of
new stuff, and haven't had time to test everything yet - it should
stabilize in a couple of days or a week...

I'll look into the NS and MPI symbol stuff.

All the best,

Erik