[gmx-developers] The development of a new implementation of Rahman Parrinello

Michael Shirts mrshirts at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 03:32:12 CEST 2005

Hi, all-

Sorry I haven't responded sooner, I've been on the road.

> I have heard that a new implementation of the Rahman Parrinello code
> is under development. All I know is that it uses a verlet velocity
> integrator.

Yes, I've been working with a lot of this locally.  I have velocity
verlet implemented, along with Andersen version of pressure control -
which takes care of the isotropic case.  It has been extended to
non-isotropic cases --see  the references in the the Moldy manual,
which has a good basic outline at
http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~keithr/moldy-manual/node14.html. I have to
fiddle around with the different implementations of anisotropic
pressure control to figure out which one is going to work the best.
If you have any suggestions.  I have not yet committed changes to the
main CVS yet.

> Is this implementation based in any reference in the bibliography?

Again, check out the references listed here:
http://www.earth.ox.ac.uk/~keithr/moldy-manual/node14.html

> Would also include a reversible move for the Nose Hoover thermostat?

This is definitely in the plan, but I haven't quite got around to this
yet.  If you have any particular implementations you think are
particularly good, let me know.   Because of some committments here,
it may take a little longer to get these changes in, but I estimate
that they will almost certainly be in by the end of the year.

Going over this a little more, I think the best idea is to essentially
have two tracks -- one that leads to the current default path
(Berensen temperature and temperature control), and a separate track
that has velocity verlet, shake + rattle, exact pressure control
(which requires velocity verlet to be rigorously correct, and so forth
-- I don't think it's going to be necessary to mix and match all the
options, necessarily.  Please let me know if anyone has any other
thoughts on this -- I'm soliciting ideas to make sure I don't miss
anything important.

Best,
Michael