[gmx-developers] Re: The development of a new implementation

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Wed Oct 12 22:56:59 CEST 2005

Hi Ramon,

> On the other hand, how do you handle constraints? Adjusting
> velocities so that they do not modify constraints is not difficult,
> and does not require iteration. But it leads to drifts. One must
> constraint positions, and doing so would require either dropping
> reversibility or iterating. Perhaps there is a method in the
> bibligraphy
> to apply constraints in a reversible way.

Unfortunately, when we digged through papers a couple of years ago
the only solution for velocity verlet + constraints + PR coupling was
iterating. However, IIRC, you only need to update the position
constraints in the first iteration since the relative velocity over
the bond vanishes after that.

The non-conservativeness of anisotropic pressure scaling is
interesting, but also problematic since one of the premier
applications would be membranes, where you obviously want separate
coupling in the XY plane and Z normal :-)

Cheers,

Erik

PS: Great to see some progress and discussion about this - we're
quite interested, it's just that we've been too busy with other stuff!

Erik Lindahl  <lindahl at sbc.su.se>
Assistant Professor, Stockholm Bioinformatics Center
Stockholm University, SE 106 91 Stockholm
Phone: +46 8 5537 8564     Fax: +46 8 5537 8214