[gmx-developers] Re: New implementations of Parrinello-Rahman

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Tue Oct 18 09:12:47 CEST 2005

Michel Cuendet wrote:
[...]
> A more philosophical question : What is really the compressibility of a
> protein ? It might as well be very low. In this case, one would have to
> consider rescaling the waters with respect to the surface of the
> protein, and not to the middle of the box. But this is SF...

That may well be more or less accessible experimentally, e.g. from the
compressibility of protein crystals. Then again, it may differ greatly
between classes of proteins (e.g., structural vs. motor proteins, or
enzymes with large functional motions). And, I have no idea if anyone
has ever been measuring this...

--
Groetjes,

Anton

* NOTE: New Affiliation, Phone & Fax numbers (below) *
| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |