[gmx-developers] suggestion for PME for 3.3.1 for free_energy=yes

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Sat Apr 1 21:37:09 CEST 2006

Hi,

OK, if you have nodes available it would be great if you could test
the pme_order = 4 vs 6 cases in double, or if you just send me a
tarball with your tpr files I can do it.

I'll still read through pme.c in the meantime :-)

Cheers,

Erik

On Apr 1, 2006, at 8:39 PM, David Mobley wrote:

> Erik,
>
> This was in single precision.
>
> Incidentally, Michael Shirts pointed out that I hadn't tried *exactly*
> the default, which has ewald_rtol=1e-05, so I have that running now. I
> can update later today or Monday with that information.
>
> Let me know what you figure out.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>

> On 4/1/06, Erik Lindahl <lindahl at sbc.su.se> wrote:
>> Hi David,
>>
>> Great work. Was this too with double precision?  In that case I can
>> rule out any accuracy-related bug in pme.c, and will add a warning.
>> If it was single I'll spend an hour hunting for accuracy-sensitive
>> operations in pme.c first ;-)
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Erik
>>
>> PS: Only two bugs to before 3.3.1...
>>

>> On Apr 1, 2006, at 12:53 AM, David Mobley wrote:
>>
>>> All,
>>>
>>> Just reporting back on my tests of various combinations of PME
>>> parameters and rcoulomb. Here's a little table of what I've done.
>>> These are computed charging free energies of phenol with AMSOL
>>> charges
>>> (which I know is a little strange) in TIP3P water using five lambda
>>> values, Bennett Acceptance Ratio, and GAFF parameters for the
>>> ligand.
>>> Using this protocol the error in these calculations should be quite
>>> low (0.02-0.1 kcal/mol, in line with my computer uncertainties). And
>>> sorry, my units are in kcal/mol. Also, these are in a dodecahedral
>>> box.
>>>
>>> rcoul  PME order       ewald rtol fourier spacing      delta G
>>> node hrs/ns
>>> 0.9    4       1e-08   0.12    19.51+/-0.04
>>> 0.9   6        1e-06   0.10    18.77+/- 0.04   2.8
>>> 1.0   6        1e-06   0.10    18.83+/- 0.03   3.8
>>> 0.9    8       1e-06   0.08    18.75+/-0.03    5.7
>>> 1.0    4       1e-08   0.12    18.86+/-0.03    3.36