[gmx-developers] Restraining the radius of gyration

David Bostick dbostick at scripps.edu
Fri Aug 11 20:02:40 CEST 2006

I cannot speak for all users of gmx, but I see many others, especially in
the protein folding field, who make use of Rg restraints. Often Rg is used
as one of many types of "order parameter" to gauge the progress of protein
folding. Often umbrella sampling is used in order to calculate the PMF
along the Rg coordinate, among other coordinates.

Berk is correct that sometimes unrealistic things may occur, but of course
the usefulness of Rg restraints will be dependent on the model one chooses
to use and on the context in which it is used. All in all, these
considerations are true of any kind of restraint.

I suppose I am trying to say that I actually do think that if it were
implemented properly, it would expand the versatility and usefulness of
the package. But that's my 2 cents worth.

-David

David Bostick
The Scripps Research Institute
Dept. of Molecular Biology, TPC 6