[gmx-developers] bOptFFT

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Fri Dec 22 19:03:07 CET 2006

Hi,

The reason for this is that the optimization in FFTW2 uses slow
wallclock timers, so it frequently took several minutes at the start
of each run, which of course was a nuisance for short tests - that's
why I enabled it optionally a long time ago.

However, FFTW3 uses step counters with cycle accuracy and thus does
the same optimization in less than a second, which is thus always a
good idea to use.

We also support Intel MKL and the Built-in FFTPACK now, so it's a bit
unlogical to have an FFTW2-specific option in the mdp file - that's
why it was disabled. My primary feeling is to remove the option, but
I'm open to suggestions :-)

Cheers,

Erik