[gmx-developers] Re: water optimization?

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Mon Jan 2 10:28:25 CET 2006

Hi,

I think Berk stepped in and answered some of this, but anyway:

> I'm working with David Mobley and John Chodera at UCSF to port my free
> energy changes that I put in 3.1.4 into 3.3.  Here are some of the
> things we've been thinking about -- it would be great to hear your
> thoughts (and I'm cc'ing this to the developer's list to get
> additional thoughts). Are there any suggestions or thoughts on these
> subjects as we work on getting them in?
>
> Here are our thoughts:
>
> 1) A toggle for decoupling versus mutating interactions of
> perterbed atoms.

This should be pretty straightforward - Berk, are there any special
reasons why all all interactions (infinite cutoff) need to be
included in the decoupled state if they aren't there in the coupled one?

I understand the problem with PME, but then I guess we could either
just create a separate list with all interactions if the decoupled
molecule is tiny, or use an extra PME call to calculate the
interactions of the separate states.

> 2) Being able to print out the energy differences to arbitrary numbers
> of different lambda values from the equilibrium sampled value, for use
> in FEP, or BAR/WHAM

This one is quite easy - just call the free energy loop multiple
times during a run.

> 3) Eventually, a new g_bar (or perhaps modification of g_wham) to
> handle these calculations with the standard gromacs tools.

Not sure if we'll have time to write that, but I'd be happy to
include it if someone does :-)

> 4) Evaluating the free energy only every N steps (it becomes expensive
> when multiple PME calls are required)

As Berk mentioned, the only duplicated step is the force back-
interpolation - so make sure we're not comparing it with a non-PME
run. How slow is the run compared to the same system running without
free energy?

In the long term, the best option both for PME dG/dl and decoupling
might be to use standard Ewald for small separate parts of the
system, since that comes with way less overhead (even though it
doesn't scale very well).

Cheers,

Erik

Erik Lindahl  <lindahl at sbc.su.se>     Backup address:
<erik.lindahl at gmail.com>
Assistant Professor, Computational Structural Biology
Stockholm Bioinformatics Center, Stockholm University, SE 106 91
Stockholm
Phone: +46 8 5537 8564     Fax: +46 8 5537 8214