[gmx-developers] Computing prot pot ener in the gmx code

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jan 12 01:23:15 CET 2006

Yang Ye wrote:
> pascal.baillod at epfl.ch wrote:
>
>> Thank you very much David, thank you very much Mark!
>> I actually already have a gromacs REMD implementation, that is an
>> external
>> script which iteratively lauches jobs, computes protein potential
>> energies (by
>> summing terms obtained with g_energy protein energy group output),
>> computes swap
>> probabilities in fct of these energies, dose the possible swaps and
>> relaunches
>> the new runs. But that is of course rather slow, as a call for grompp is
>> necessary every new run.
>> 1) Would there be a way to bypass grompp in the context of the
>> external script?

Where no exchange has occured, you can use tpbconv -extend to convert
the previous .tpr file... the only change you want is a new end run time
and it does that nicely. To speed things up, you can of course decrease
the frequency of exchange attempts, and maybe run g_energy & grompp in a
distributed fashion manually.