[gmx-developers] use multiple tables for pair interactions

Dongsheng Zhang dong at pampas.chem.purdue.edu
Mon Jul 17 17:22:28 CEST 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-17 at 15:13 +0200, Berk Hess wrote:
> Dongsheng Zhang wrote:
>
> >Dear Hess,
> >
> >Thank you very for your reply.

> >>Changing the code is somewhat involved,
> >>as the pair interactions are bonded interactions and they
> >>are therefore not assigned to charge groups.
> >>
> >>I have used the other option you mention several times.
> >>

> I'll try to word it differently.
>
> You apparently want to use different forms of pair interactions for
> different
> atom pairs in the [ pairs ] section of your topology.

> Without changing the code you can only use the 3 functional forms
> that are supplied in tablep.xvg.
> If you need 2 functional forms, things are easy since your can indepently
> modify the 2 functions normally used for 1/r^6 and 1/r^12.
> If you need more than 3 you are out of luck.
> If you need 3 functional forms, you can use the electrostatics part of
> tablep.xvg.
> Here you need to take into account the factor f*q1*q2 in the potential.
> Also the electrostatics functions in all table_?_?.xvg files should be zero,
> as otherwise you will get unwanted non-bonded interactions.

Dear Berk,

To my understanding, one tablep.xvg can only take care of one type ( two
specific atoms) of pair interaction, even though there are three
functional forms. In my case, The pair interaction potential does not
include COUL term, and the potential is completed tabulated (means there
is no formula e.g. 1/r^6), so I will only use one functional form
(attractive or replusive part) and  C6 and c12 are unities.

Now I give you my case. I try to use a coarse grained model for
PEO-PPO-PEO triblock polymers. There are three different pair
interactions, namely, PEO-PEO, PPO-PPO, PEO-PPO. I thought I need three
tablep_*_*.xvg files for them. Could you please kindly tell how I can
change tablep.xvg to calculate those three different types of pair
interactions without modifying the source code?

In some sense, I think maybe my question is not so clear to you, so I
can't get your answer. I hope you can understand my question now.

Thank you very much for your help!

Dongsheng