[gmx-developers] neighbo[u]r

Mark Abraham Mark.Abraham at anu.edu.au
Thu Jul 20 10:01:19 CEST 2006

Berk Hess wrote:
> Mark Abraham wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can we make an effort to standardize the spelling of neighbo[u]r for
>> 4.0...? I don't care what it is, but it seems silly to have
>> search_neighbours and init_neighbor_list called within 20 lines of
>> each other. Obviously it's much better to be able to grep for one
>> spelling of the word, not either.
>>
> I have a slight preference for the american spelling.
>
> But you can use:
> grep "neighbo[u]*r" ...
> :)

Of course, but the value is that someone who uses the non-agreed
spelling will get zero hits, and someone using the agreed spelling will
get all the hits, and nobody needs to be alert to the possibility of an
alternative spelling... How many non-native English speakers would be
aware of this one? (I won't dare ask how many American English speakers
would be aware of this one... :-P)