[gmx-developers] gromacs on macbook pro (intel chip) ... or not?

Arnie Hagler entrepgene at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 01:46:27 CEST 2006

I have recently attempted to install gromacs on the newly released Macbook pro (w/ intel chips). I am having a problem w/ binutils. From the config.log file:

configure:26987: checking whether your compiler can handle assembly files  (*.s)
 configure:27006: cc -c conftestasm.s
 configure:27009: $? = 0
 configure:27012: result: yes
 configure:27031: checking whether as understands 'lock cmpxchg'
 configure:27051: cc -c conftest.s
 conftest.s:1:Unknown pseudo-op: .intel_syntax
 conftest.s:1:Rest of line ignored. 1st junk character valued 110 (n).
 conftest.s:3:invalid character '[' in first operand
 configure:27054: $? = 1
 configure:27059: result: no
 configure:27061: error: Upgrade to binutils >= 2.12.1 (or disable  assembly loops).

corresponding I believe to the code in configure:

  echo "$as_me:$LINENO: checking whether as understands 'lock cmpxchg'"  >&5
 echo $ECHO_N "checking whether as understands 'lock cmpxchg'... $ECHO_C"  >&6
   if test "$enable_x86_64_sse" = "yes"; then
     cat > conftest.s << EOF
 .intel_syntax noprefix
 checkasm:
         lock cmpxchg [rsi], ebx
         emms
         ret
 EOF
   else
     cat > conftest.s << EOF
 .intel_syntax noprefix
 checkasm:
         lock cmpxchg [esi], ebx
         emms
         ret
 EOF
   fi

I doubt that the problem is an old version of binutils on this new platform and would prefer not to disable assembly loops.

Thanks