[gmx-developers] force calculations, especially in do_fnbf()

Erik Lindahl lindahl at sbc.su.se
Fri May 12 10:40:03 CEST 2006

Hi Dave,

You shouldn't have to mess with the assembly, but you might have to
tweak the #defines used during build.

First recommendation: upgrade to 3.3 or later where the calls are
much easier to understand!

Here's what happens - forget the assembly loops for now:

To optimize performance, it is really important to avoid doing
unnecessary computations. For instance, if a particle doesn't have
charge we shouldn't do any coulomb interactions for it. This might
seem excessive, but can easily save us a factor 2 in performance.

A lot of codes do this with conditionals inside the innermost loop,
which is hopeless for modern pipelined CPUs.

In Gromacs, we have instead moved the logic to the neighborlist
generation, and keep separate neighborlists for coulomb-only,
coulomb&lj, water-water interactions, etc.

For each of these combinations we then have a tailor-made nonbonded
routine that only calculates _exactly_ what we need - not a single
extra floating-point operation, and no conditionals whatsoever.

After building gromacs, these routines are present in src/gmxlib/
nonbonded/nb_kernel.
In practice, there is very little difference between the different
interactions, so to avoid bugs and enable optimizations like software-
based sqrt(), we generate them with a small program during the build.
This way it is also easy for us to do it in Fortran77 (which is still
faster on some systems), and we can do either single or double
precision.

For a closer look, you can cd to that directory and generate kernels
with comments this way:

./mknb -comments

or why not double precision kernels in fortran:

./mknb -double -fortran

(-h lists available options).

OK, back to the calling:

A long, long time ago in a galaxy far away, we had a bauta switch()
that called the correct loop, with different arguments for each loop.
At one point we even used dirty m4 macros to create them :-)

In more recent versions of Gromacs, we have changed all nonbonded
kernels to use the same call sequence and arguments. The first time
we call do_nonbonded(), we assign function pointers to each
neighborlist based on the interactions it should calculate (which is
still represented as a stupid enumerated index).

Let's revive the assembly loops now. Since the kernel is represented
with a function pointer, it is trivial to point to a hardware-
optimized routine for an individual kernel.

In recent Gromacs versions it is even possible to use e.g. assembly
code for a handful of really important kernels, but fallback to the C/
Fortran versions for the rest. This is done by first running the
"vanilla" nb_kernel_setup(), and then we call the setup routines for
accelerated kernels that overwrite function pointers only for the
choices where they are available.

This, it isn't quite as dirty as it might seem - the nonbonded force
part is almost entirely isolated from the rest.

Unless you do free energy, the do_nonbonded() routine only updates

* Forces in f[]
* Shift forces (read the manual for expl.) in fshift[]
* Coulomb energies for groups in egcoul[]
* LJ energies for groups in egnb[]

Cheers,

Erik