[gmx-developers] PBC with p2sub1 from pbc_dx() modifications

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Wed May 31 08:18:20 CEST 2006

chris.neale at utoronto.ca wrote:
> Fantastic! Thank you so much for the details. It will take some weeks to test
> that everything is working as it should, but I will be sure to post as soon as
> everything is tested. In the end, I believe that a modern computer should still
> get 0.5-1ns/day on a simple protein-membrane system, which is about 5 times
> faster than charmm for me, making it a very worthwhile endevour. Once working, I
> will be pulling a palmityl-(oleyl-phosphatidylethanolamine) out of a gram
> negative outer menbrane protein (PagP) binding pocket by a derivative of replica
> exchange and measuring the PMF making it quite important the the membrane is
> happy. I really want to emphasize my appreciation for the rapid and in-depth
> comments of Berk and Erik. And I won't hesitate to point out that the code is
> generally far more readable than the humble Erik lets on.

Just as a last comment, I'm not sure whether you mentioned this or not,
but please base your efforts on the latest CVS, i.e. *not* the 3.3 tree.
It will be much easier to merge with vanilla GROMACS later on, since
Berk has already done quite a few modifications to the code there.

Good luck.

> [...]
>>depends on the box geometry, so we first determine exactly how many
>>neighbor cells we should check, and in which directions. However,
>>instead of checking periodic boundary conditions for every single
>>distance we use "shift vectors" here too. Think of an imaginary 1D-
>>box where the current cell is the leftmost, and we want to find
>>neighbors both to the right (next box), and to the left (using PBC,
>>in the rightmost box). This corresponds to a list of two shift
>>vectors. First we search the next box without doing anything special.
>>For the second step, we first add a shift vector corresponding to the
>>1D-box length, which you can think of as moving the entire reference
>>box to the right of the system, and then search the rightmost box
>>without any need for checking PBC.
>>
>>You WILL need to understand this "nonbonded shift" concept - there
>>are some illustrations in the manual that might help, as well as the
>>Gromacs papers!
>>
>>Finally, we check distances between charge groups and eventually go
>>through atoms and put them in the lists. This is just a bunch of
>>special cases to optimize the neighborlists as much as possible, e.g.
>>VdW-only, or coulomb-interactions-only between pairs of water molecules.
>>
>>As explained in the manual, we need to store the shift indices/
>>vectors for each neighborlist to be able to calculate the virial as a
>>single sum after calling the nonbonded forces instead of doing it
>>inside the kernel. I somewhat suspect that it might be easiest for
>>you just to copy coordinates to get a full periodic cell so you don't
>>have to worry about rotations in the shift - that could namely affect
>>the innerloops too, and you don't want to hack assembly ;-)
>>

>>Now for something completely different: shifts.
>>

>>There is an related, but slightly different, periodicity problem with
>>bonded interactions. We really should have used a different name, but
>>unfortunately it's called "molecular shift" or even only "shift" in
>>the code. So sorry. Mea culpa...
>>
>>The graph code goes through all molecules at setup time and makes
>>them continuous, i.e. removes PBC. We then re-apply PBC, but keep
>>track of how each atom has been moved/shifted in terms of integer
>>multiples of the unit cell vectors.
>>
>>Neighborsearching and nonbonded force calculation normally puts all
>>charge groups inside the central unit cell, but the molecular shifts
>>enable us to rapidly make all molecules continuous again without
>>evaluating a single conditional. I'm not sure if you need bother with
>>this, but I think we explained this too in more detail in the latest
>>JCC Gromacs paper.
>>
>>PME is fairly independent from everything else, in src/mdlib/pme.c.
>>You provide coordinates and triclinic box vectors and get potential,
>>forces on each atom, and long-range virial back.
>>
>>My recommendation would be to start with neighborsearch for a trivial
>>system without bonded interactions or exclusions, and make sure you

David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755