[gmx-developers] MPI crash with ghost molecules

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Fri Nov 3 12:16:51 CET 2006

Jason de Joannis wrote:
> Naveen, I suppose the extra degrees of freedom affect the dynamics in a
> small way. For example if you are using the Berendsen thermostat, the
> velocity scaling factor depends upon the most recent kinetic temperature
> which is proportional to the kinetic energy of the coupling group.
> Therefore the ghost molecules will contribute to the scaling factor -
> but anyways the temperature coupling should be preserved (and in my
> simulations it is). It would probably be better to set the masses to
> zero, but I was afraid of creating singularities in integration of the
> bonded forces. i.e. dv/dt = f/m.

IIRC, atoms with zero mass are supported; they do not move at all.
But, this may not be what you want, either.

In addition, even without a direct influence like what you describe
through the thermostat, additional degrees of freedom, even if
uncoupled, will affect your thermodynamics (i.e., sampling/ensamble).

--
Groetjes,

Anton

| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |