[gmx-developers] Single letter residue types in rtp files

Anton Feenstra feenstra at few.vu.nl
Sun Nov 19 16:35:10 CET 2006

Ranjit Vijayan wrote:
> Of course, it is pretty straightforward for me to change the single
> letter residue types to two letters. But, would it not be better if the
> .rtp files released is set up to take care of the code's inability to
> handle single letter residue types or modify the above check to allow
> single letter residue types?

The code looks like it could have been mine (I've tried to make the name
matching a bit more forgiving by not insisting on a perfect match). I do
not think there was a good reason for excluding single-letter residue
names, it probably simply did not occur to me at the time how the code
would behave in such a situation -- and it apparently wasn't in my test
set... ;-{

Nevertheless, I'd think you would not want to use a building block if
only the first letter matched your residue name, so simply initializing
'best' at 0 is not a good quick solution here...

--
Groetjes,

Anton

| / \ / \'| | | IBIVU/Bioinformatics - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam   |
|(   |   )| | | De Boelelaan 1083 - 1081A HV Amsterdam - Netherlands  |
| \_/ \_/ | | | Tel +31 20 59 87783 - Fax +31 20 59 87653 - Room P440 |
|             | Feenstra at few.vu.nl - www.few.vu.nl/~feenstra/         |
|             | "If You See Me Getting High, Knock Me Down" (RHCP)    |