[gmx-developers] virial

Jason de Joannis jdejoan at emory.edu
Wed Nov 22 00:26:13 CET 2006

Quoting Erik Lindahl <lindahl at cbr.su.se>:

> Hi Jason,

Hi.
>> On Nov 21, 2006, at 9:41 PM, Jason de Joannis wrote:
>>
>> From the manual and the code, it looks like Gromacs uses the atomic
>> virial. I think that is besides the point.
>>
>> Why does Gromacs use f[i] which (I think) contains all bonded and
>> nonbonded forces? After all the derivative resp. volume scaling
>> vanishes for some of the bonded forces.
>
> Forces are forces are forces, which give rise to pressure. There is
> no fundamental physical difference between bonded and nonbonded
> interactions.
Hmm. I generally think from the partition function rather than
mechanically. Anyways, why do you have Appendix B.1.4 which treats
the virial for harmonic bonds explicitely?

> Gromos (and some other codes) use whole-molecule-virials to reduce
> the effect of some numerical errors, but there are other drawbacks
> with this - primarily performance.
>

>> Also, the manual describes the SHAKE virial but what about LINCS?
>
> We use "Shake virial" as a generic name for virial contributions from
>  constraints, so it's identical for SHAKE and LINCS.
Okay, thats true. I can see real numbers when I print out shake_vir. That
means I will have to go inside LINCS and somehow zero the unwanted
virial terms.

>> Also, where can I find a little more info on the fr->fshift  contribution.
>> On the mailing list archive someone explained that this comes from
>> forces on the 27 unit cells. Is that explained in the manual or
>> somewhere?
>>

> It's mentioned in the manual where we derive the expression for
> single-sum-virial. The performance advantage of the single sum is
> also the reason why we prefer the atomic virial, btw!
Well I must need a stronger prescription on my contact lenses because
I have been looking closely at that section. It seems to me that
Eq. B.11 is all calculated within the normal virial routine.

> Cheers,
>
> Erik
Thanks.

--