[gmx-developers] artificial forces in MD of lipid bilayer system

David Bostick dbostick at scripps.edu
Thu Oct 5 18:48:16 CEST 2006

Are you sure that this extraction is due to artificial forces?  Changing
the number of processors will produce small numerical changes in the
integration, which can in turn, affect the outcome of a simulation. When
simulating bilayers, I have seen many things happen ... from extraction of
lipids ... to lipids finding their way into the hydrophobic interior (head
group and all) ... to spontaneous formation of water wires and pores. This
especially can happen when an initial configuration has a few
instabilities in it. I see no reason why such an event could not even
occur from time to time in a real bilayer.

I understand that one cannot rule out some form of artifact in gmx, but it
might be worth considering that, based on your description of the event,
your system may be behaving normally.

Best,
David

=======================================