[gmx-developers] strange forces in MD of protein-lipid system

Rainer Böckmann rainer at bioinformatik.uni-saarland.de
Sat Sep 23 17:22:35 CEST 2006

I just found out that the lipid being extracted from the membrane is one
that is split over two procs when using 8 procs. We'll investigate this
further.
Best,
Rainer

David van der Spoel wrote:

>On Fri, 22 Sep 2006, Rainer Böckmann wrote:
>

>>Dear Developers,
>>
>>we found strange forces acting on one lipid in a mixed protein-lipid
>>system (~24k) running on 8 processors (3.3.1, PME), resulting in this
>>lipid leaving the membrane on the timescale of 10-100ps (stable
>>simulation). This force acts only on atoms in a specific position of the
>>pdb-file, i.e. exchanging two lipids will result in a different lipid
>>leaving the membrane. Also, restart on a different number of processors
>>avoids this artefact. If required we can support the respective tpr-files.
>>

>are you sure this is the case? is it not pbc?
>
>otherwise, is it not due to an error in the topology? there is recent
>bugzilla on strange effects due to the topology.
>
>in addition, do you have the pme_order bug fixed, for pme_order != 4?
>
>if you think this is a bug, submit a bugzilla.
>

>>Best,
>>rainer

Dr. Rainer Böckmann
Theoretical & Computational Membrane Biology
Center for Bioinformatics Saar
Universität des Saarlandes
Gebäude C7.1 (17.1), EG
D-66041 Saarbrücken, Germany
Phone: ++49 +681 302-64169  FAX: ++49 +681 302-64180
E-Mail: rainer at bioinformatik.uni-saarland.de
http://www.bioinf.uni-sb.de/RB/