[gmx-developers] Re: [gmx-users] Wasting too much time recompiling

Tsjerk Wassenaar tsjerkw at gmail.com
Thu Jul 26 16:17:35 CEST 2007

Hi Lee-Ping,

I think this mail is better off on the developers list.
As a side note, please get your wording straight. I assume that with
'launch mdrun' you mean 'compile mdrun' rather than launching it as a
program.
You probably issue "make" in the top-level directory, which goes
through the whole dependency tree. Since bondfree.c is part of the
mdrun library (libmd.la), which is amongst the dependencies of all the
tools, all the tools are updated too. If you only want to recompile
mdrun, goto the directory src/kernel, or use 'make mdrun', rather than
'make'. This will avoid recompilation of the tools (and the rest of
the programs).

Hope it helps,

Tsjerk

On 7/26/07, Lee-Ping <leeping at mit.edu> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm editing the bondfree.c source code in gromacs.  The problem is, every
> time I launch mdrun to see what my program does, it recompiles not only
> bondfree.c, but every single tool in the src/tools directory!  It seems like
> an unnecessary waste of time to recompile all of these tools, when mdrun is
> the only program I'm launching.
>
> I'm using the Eclipse SDK with the C++ development tool, if that helps at
> all.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> - Lee-Ping

Tsjerk A. Wassenaar, Ph.D.