[gmx-developers] MASM assembly syntax

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Mon Jul 30 16:06:13 CEST 2007

Hi,

I would also be _extremely_ surprised if there was any significant
difference with a different assembler :-)

Per definition, the assembler just translates the instruction
mnemonics to binary opcodes, so apart from some minor stuff (like
macro expansion and constants) the generated code should be identical.

x86 is also a bit special since it has extremely good dynamic
instruction scheduling, so there isn't really much to gain by smarter
ordering of the assembly instructions either (god knows we've tried,
though :-)

The compiler can have a huge influence on neighborsearching, though,
and to a lesser extent particle-mesh-ewald, so you might see a
slightly larger effect e.g. on a big ion channel system (less water,
complex molecules).

On the other hand, I never believe compiler vendors' performance
claims. My guess is that you'd only see 25% difference on a code that
was completely unoptimized and horribly written to start with :-)

Cheers,

Erik