[gmx-developers] trajectory files corrupted

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Sat Jun 23 08:41:22 CEST 2007

Hi,

The "usual" trajectory problem is due to the OS buffers, so when a
run crashes the last couple of kB haven't been written. This has been
adressed in the head branch of CVS; trajectory and energy file frames
are now explicitly flushed after each frame to make sure the OS
buffers are written to disk, so frames are always complete.

However, the description below sounds like a different issue. I don't
think we've ever had any issues with Gromacs silently corrupting
output, so I think this is due to the operating system.

In case you're using NFS, make sure you use the "hard" mount option.
"Soft" mounts seem much nicer in that the client doesn't hang if the
NFS server goes down, but it is a recipe for disaster (slient data
corruption).

Cheers,

Erik