[gmx-developers] Nr of graph edges per atom and distance restraints

Berk Hess hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de
Mon Mar 19 11:16:29 CET 2007

David van der Spoel wrote:

> hessb at mpip-mainz.mpg.de wrote:

>>> To finally fix the bugzilla 66, which number of did you use instead
>>> of 4
>>> on line 229 of mshift.c?
>>

>> This is not relevant.
>> The code is quite small and puts only the chemical bonds in the graph
>> for interactions within three bonds.
>> But one can define as many long-range distance restraints as one likes.
>> Therefore there is not limit to the number of graph edges.
>>
>>> Alternatively, the condition & IF_CHEMBOND on line 201 could be
>>> replaced
>>> by & IF_BOND
>>

>> This does not help.
>

> I think it will because then distance restraints are included, now
> only true chemical bonds are, and then the number will be determined
> dynamically.

Ah, right.
But we don't want that as a general solution,
since that could cost a lot of extra allocation and might hurt cache
performance.

A solution for distance restraints would be to add tp==F_DISRES.
But there was recently also someone with too mant harmonic bonds...
So we should think of a robust solution.

I just looked into the code and since there is g->nedge,
we could first just count everything, then fill the graph as is done now,
then shrink the array while resetting the g->edge pointers
and realloc.

Berk.