[gmx-developers] Modifying the GROMACS Integration algorithm

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Sat May 26 19:03:08 CEST 2007

Nava Whiteford wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm am looking for an MD code to test a new integration algorithm with, I
> was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of the main
> integration loop in GROMACS or perhaps give some insight in to how easy
> this might be to accomplish with GROMACS.
>
> I have previously tried to modify NAMD but ran in to trouble when trying
> to perform two force calculations in a single timestep, does anyone know
> if this would be a difficult modification to make with GROMACS as well?
>
> Any help appreciated,
>
> Nava Whiteford

Go to src/kernel/md.c and look in md.c
then you see that calls are made to do_force (src/mdlib/sim_util.c) and
update (src/mdlib/update.c).

Of course the devil is in the detail since the integration algorithm
also calls constraint routines and does temperature and pressure
coupling. It might be better to roll your own little program that only
does argon, and once you have the math correct in your own program you
start porting it to a big package like GROMACS.

--
David.
phone:	46 18 471 4205		fax: 46 18 511 755