[gmx-developers] May be bug in 64-bit !

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed May 30 17:32:18 CEST 2007

Hi,

On May 30, 2007, at 3:51 PM, Mark Abraham wrote:

>>  2.         The second problem is due to invalid range value (ci)
>> in file: nsgrid.c (Line: 225 & Line: 277)
>
> This error comes up all the time on all OS when people haven't
> followed a sufficiently gentle minimization and equilibration regime.

Right, but this is something different since it occurs with the demo
files that are known to work.

For reference, the errors actually never occur is nsgrid.c. However,
when your coordinates become invalid (usually NaN) for some reason
like horribly bad structure, compiler bug, file IO error, etc., the
first place we notice is when we try to put them on the grid to do
neighborsearching.

We've considered adding more checks, but since those would degrade
performance slightly we'd have to implement some "-safe" flag or
similar that you only use when you expect an error...

Cheers,

Erik