[gmx-developers] Energy and Foreign Lambdas and Hamiltonian Replica Exchange

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Fri Nov 2 10:17:19 CET 2007

Berk Hess wrote:
> Mark Abraham wrote:
>
>> David van der Spoel wrote:

>>> I'd say a couple of weeks to get it right. You can learn quite a bit
>>> from the current REMD implementation, but you'd need extra energy
>>> evaluations. Check the wiki, to see if this is there already,
>>> something similar is, anyway.
>>

>> Wasn't there a rework of REMD planned to permit multiple processors
>> per replica? Has that made it to CVS yet?
>>
>> With the REMD code as it stands in 3.3.1, I'd agree with David's
>> estimate. That's the kind of time it took me to implement a version of
>> the hybrid solvation RE method of Okur et al., as described in JCTC
>> 2(2):420, and that required linking in a PB solver.
>>
>> Mark
>
> I would say this is very easy, less than a day. But maybe I am overly
> optimistic,
> since I know the code. This involves no real changes to the code, since
> you just
> do the acceptance based on the same potential energy of normal REMD.
> There are only some checks that need to be changed.
>
> But I don't see for what kind of systems such a RE would help.
> Or is this not for free energy differences and do you want to use lambda
> to lower barriers?

IIRC this requires evaluating the energy at a different lambda than the
one assigned to the processor(s). Maybe someone can post the exchange
probability criterion.

It is all about sampling of course, and this kind of approach is also
used in constant pH MD (with implicit solvent) and in Van Gunsterens
switching between coarse grained and atomistic MD. A more general setup
for all these REMD variants would be useful therefore. One could also
envision REMD in two dimensions (e.g. T and lambda).

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.