[gmx-developers] automake errors during cvs head installation

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Thu Oct 25 11:48:01 CEST 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 7:01 PM, David van der Spoel wrote:

> Daniel Larsson wrote:
>> Dear list,
>> When I try to install the latest cvs head version I get about 30
>> errors in the automake step of the bootstrap script:
>> configure.ac:11: option `tar-ustar' not recognized
>> configure.ac:11: option `tar-ustar' not recognized
>> etc.
>> According to the wiki, automake of version 1.5 or later should be
>> used. My version is GNU automake 1.6.3. When it downloaded version
>> 1.5d of GNU automake I got the same errors and additionally:
>> configure.ac:21: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_DISABLE_SHARED
>>       If this token and others are legitimate, please use
>> m4_pattern_allow.
>>       See the Autoconf documentation.
>> configure.ac:375: error: possibly undefined macro:
>> AC_LIBTOOL_WIN32_DLL
>> configure.ac:376: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
>> This was been done in Mac OS X 10.4.10. Thankful for suggestions.
>
> you'll have to install automake 1.10, autoconf 2.61 and libtool all
> from source. Fink is rather a lot behind I'm afraid.

I think we forgot to update the wiki in regards to the automake
version too :-)

Wwe need a newer version to support the use of an extended tar format
with support for relative file paths longer than 63 chars (or
whatever) - this is necessary for all the subdirectories in the
architecture-specific nonbonded kernels...

Cheers,

Erik