[gmx-developers] triplet range cut-off

David van der Spoel spoel at xray.bmc.uu.se
Thu Sep 6 16:03:33 CEST 2007

marcos wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are simulating liquid-gas interfaces and we want to include the long
> range forces due to VDW during the course of the simulation.
> We think to implement a kind of triplet range cut-off. This is to add a
> new (and longer) cut-off to the already existent in the twin-range
> method. This new cut-off will be very long and the forces will be
> updated very infrequently.
> We plan to apply this only to the VDW interaction, whereas the
> electrostatics will be handled with PME.
>
> Another possibility is to use a VDW analog of the PME but update the
> forces very rarely.
>

> Which option do you like more, and where would be the place to start
> modifying the code?
The PME-Van der Waals would be nice to have as an option.

However, for your problem you might consider whether you shouldn't
rather have an analytical approximation: the gas will feel the liquid a
lot more than the other way around, but you could have some kind of
Z-dependent force due to dispersion (if Z is perpendicular to the
interface). You should in that case also consider the Wall potentials
that Berk implemented in the CVS branch.

--
David van der Spoel, Ph.D.