[gmx-developers] Writing the electric field (and its gradient) on particular atoms during an MD simulation

Gerrit Groenhof ggroenh at gwdg.de
Tue Apr 15 08:32:09 CEST 2008

Hi John,

Instead of modifying the code (which is more elegant of course), would
it not be possible to do a rerun, with all bonded and Lennard-Jones
interactions set to zero in the topology? I think that in that case the
forces on the atoms, as printed in the trr file are equal to the
electric field
(f(i)=q(i)*E(i), right?). Or do I overlook something here?

Depending on the accuracy you want, The gradient (Nable E) might be
obtained by finite differences, once you have the electric field
associated with each atom position, but I do not know how easy or cheap
this is.

Gerrit