[gmx-developers] Does GROMACS pass random numbers through checkpoint/restart files?

David Cerutti dcerutti at mccammon.ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 21 19:56:56 CEST 2008

Just another comment here, this issue I mentioned pertains to a protein
solvated with explicit water, particle-mesh Ewald, a conservative 1.5fs
time step with SHAKE on all bonds to hydrogen, SETTLE on the water, 9.0A
real-space cutoff, Lennard-Jone tails.  By all measures, this is a very
safe MD simulation protocol, and in another case I have it running with a
stable tetramer for 250ns.

I'm testing Andersen thermostat as well, and it appears that in the
extreme case of 1000 steps per restart (and with random velocity
reassignmet every 1000 steps), the Andersen thermostat does produce
something akin to this artifact but not as quickly as the Langevin; it may
also improve more rapidly over longer segments, even with the bad random
numbers.  Time (i.e. a week) will tell.

Good to know that Gromacs4 is going to deal with this issue.

Dave