[gmx-developers] Difference between the distance used for force and virial calculations in umbrella pull code

Chris Neale chris.neale at utoronto.ca
Mon Aug 11 22:38:14 CEST 2008

Dear Berk,

thanks for the explanation. Can you please confirm that the virial
should be based on the distance between the two groups when the force is
not actually applied along the vector connecting these two groups? For
instance, while using epullgDIST, when the pulled group is exactly at
the desired distance from the reference group the biasing force will be
zero, and I would have thought that the contribution to the virial
should also be zero, whereas I am not convinced that it is in the cvs.

Thanks,
Chris.