[gmx-developers] Gromacs FFT

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Tue Dec 9 21:24:20 CET 2008

Hi Kent,

usually FFT is not a bottleneck for MD when run on one or a few processors.
You can increase the FFT load slightly by using a small cut-off (rcoulomb in
the mdp file) and a fine grid (fourierspacing in mdp). Typical one uses a
minimum of rcoloumb 0.8 and fourierspacing of 1.1. But you could decrease
fourierspacing further to see the effect on the FFT time.

FFT becomes the mayor bottleneck for parallel runs on more than a few
hundred CPUs. I did some work on parallel FFT on Jaguar and Kraken. Let me
know in case you are also interested in parallel FFT. Is it correct that the
ACML only supports serial FFT so far? Do you plan to add an parallel FFT or
an extension as for the linear algegra routines with AMD ScaLAPACK?

Roland