[gmx-developers] Gromacs FFT

Roland Schulz roland at utk.edu
Wed Dec 10 19:07:02 CET 2008

On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Knox, Kent <Kent.Knox at amd.com> wrote:

> I've done a naïve printf style instrumentation of the gromacs FFT
> interface, and can only see 3d real-to-complex/complex-to-real style fft's
> being used.  For an MPI build of gromacs, I see that gromacs chunks 3d FFT's
> into 2D FFT's itself and passes those down to the underlying fft library to
> finish.  I believe that in these instances ACML is threaded appropriately,
> but please let me know if I am drawing the wrong conclusions.  I am basing
> my observations purely on the d.lzm bench.

Yes it is correct that gromacs partitions the 3d FFT in 2D FFT itself. It
doesn't use threading for the FFT because the surrounding code is not
threaded and thus one MPI process is running per core. My work (not in
Gromacs yet) is to partition into two dimensions not only one to scale to
higher number of processors. The partitioning thus  ends up with
columns/stencils instead of slabs.

Roland