[gmx-developers] Optimizing free energy calculations

Erik Lindahl lindahl at cbr.su.se
Wed Dec 31 10:55:21 CET 2008

Hi,

As Berk mentioned we're already working on it (as part of a much
larger generalization of the FE stuff) :-)

However, for most applications you are only perturbing a small part of
the system, and since only the perturbed interactions use the special
FE kernel the performance hit is negligible. A bigger hit comes if you
use PME together with free energy, since that requires two reciprocal
space evaluations.

Just out of curiosity - do you have a case where you are perturbing a
large part of the system, or are you using PME? If not, it might be
something else (read: bug :-)

Cheers,

Erik