[gmx-developers] Assembler loops on Itanium2 Montecito (again)

Rafael R. Pappalardo rafapa at us.es
Tue Feb 26 14:35:13 CET 2008

I don't have enough expertize to fix the problem with assembly loops on
Montecito. Following Carsten Kutzner suggestion I have compiled GROMACS
enabling fortran loops and obtained a considerable speed up with respect to
the C version.

My suggestion is to include an specific test for Montecito CPUs and disable
the assembly loops similarly to what it's done when the NOASSEMBLYLOOPS
environment variable is set. I don't know if after the check for cpuid it's
still possible to dissable the use of assembly loops.

In this way Gromacs could run in a system with a mixture of Itanium2
processors. Running in Montecito processors will use fortran loops and on
non-Montecito ones the assembly loops without the user needing to change the
environment which cannot be feasible if there is a pool of cpus and you don't
know in advance which type of processor will run the job.

Thanks for the attention.

Best regards,

Rafael
--
Dr. Rafael R. Pappalardo
Dept. Physical Chemistry, Univ. de Sevilla (Spain)
e-mail: rafapa at us.es